In 2020 I want to put my SEO skills to the test, by starting an affiliate website. My 2020 SEO goal is to visit the Chaing Mai SEO conference in November 2020, with a growing affiliate website under my belt.
Let’s see if I can do it.
So to keep myself motivated i’ve decided I want to keep this blog updated monthly with my progress. There are a lot of guys out there that talk the affiliate talk and according to their own websites walk the walk. I want to find out if it really can be done.
This case study might turn out to be an absolute failure – but it will be an interesting test. If it fails then I can only learn from those mistakes.
How I’ve Started the Affiliate Site
After spending a few nights searching through Spamzilla, I purchased an expired domain through GoDaddy. I set myself a max £50 budget for an expiring domain in a niche I was interested in. I purchased the domain for £35.
Why I Chose The Expiring Domain I Did
- It was a 15 year old domain.
- It had a decent amount of content on the site when it was hosted, which led to a couple of backlinks from high authority sites including www.matthewwoodward.co.uk and neilpatel.com
- The site focused on a niche I am interested in (website building, SEO, WordPress & making money online).
- The stats on AHREFS were OK and looked like this:
What Did I Do Once The Domain Name Was Mine?
- I went to the Wayback Machine to gather all the sites previous content.
- Using my 20i reseller hosting account I created a blank WordPress install and pointed the domain name to my hosting provider. I wanted to get the site back up and running as quickly as possible.
- Images were not displaying on the Wayback Machine so I copied and pasted all the posts which had backlinks pointing towards them. This was around 20 posts in total. I made sure the site had the exact same URL structure as the old website.
- I installed the Astra Pro theme. It’s very easy to customise. At this point I’m still not sure how exactly I want the site to look, so put Astra on there so I can potentially change the sites look later. This month it was just about getting the content on there and making sure Google could easily crawl the website again.
- Installed the Rank Math SEO plugin.
- Installed Google Analytics & Google Search Console.
- Submitted the sitemap to Google Search Console.
30 Day Results
This is what’s happened since the site went live a month ago.
The URL and domain ratings of the site has increased in AHREFS.
The number of backlinks has significantly dropped and I have lost a couple of high authority backlinks.
This is how much content is currently on the website:
Here are the user numbers for January taken from Analytics.
The website had 18 users from Organic Traffic.
These are the Google Search Console Stats:
I plan to just leave the site for a couple of weeks and see what ranking position (if any) the current content gets. This will have an impact on what content I decide to add or optimise next month.
Next month I intend to:
- Complete in depth keyword research.
- Create a content strategy.
- Add 10,000 words of content.
- Improve the website and bring it into 2020 – at the moment it’s just text.
- Monitor internal links.
- Optimise existing content.
- Add my affiliate links across the site. (Currently they are still pointing towards the previous owner.)🤦♀️